Walking, running, jumping. These simple activities bring joy to our lives. For those suffering from plantar fasciitis, they can be a source of acute pain and discomfort.
Plantar Fasciitis is a common foot condition that affects millions of people every year. It is caused by an inflammation of the plantar fascia (a long and slender ligament that runs along the sole of the foot).This debilitating condition leaves people with stabbing pain near their heel(s). Generally, plantar fasciitis symptoms subside after a few months. Orthotics can help to reduce pain and suffering faster.
In this blog, we learn more about Plantar Fasciitis and how custom orthotics, like those offered by OrthoticsDirect.com can play a pivotal role in alleviating the pain associated with this condition.
What is Plantar Fasciitis?
Plantar Fasciitis is a common and often painful foot condition. It most commonly affects people between the ages of 40 and 60.
The plantar fascia supports the arch of the foot and absorbs shock during walking, running, and other weight-bearing activities. When plantar fascia become inflamed or overstressed, tiny tears can develop in the tissue, leading to irritation, swelling, and pain. Plantar Fasciitis is often characterized by intense pain near the heel. Sufferers experience pain during the first few steps of the day and after periods of rest or inactivity.
Some common contributors to the onset of Plantar Fasciitis:
- Foot shape or structure: People with high arches or flat feet are more vulnerable to Plantar Fasciitis due to the unequal distribution of weight on the foot.
- Overpronation: Excessive inward rolling of the foot while walking (overpronation) can strain the plantar fascia.
- Improper Footwear: Wearing shoes with inadequate arch support, cushioning, or poor shock absorption can increase risk or aggravate existing foot condition.
- Excessive Physical Activity: Engaging in intense activities such as running, dancing, or standing for long periods, can contribute to the condition.
- Age and Weight: Plantar Fasciitis is most common among middle-aged adults and those who are overweight or obese.
- Tight Calf Muscles: Tight calf muscles can alter the way the foot moves, placing extra strain on the plantar fascia.
What are Orthotics & How They Help With Plantar Fasciitis?
Plantar Fasciitis can be managed with the use of custom orthotics. Orthotics, like those offered by Orthotics Direct, are medical devices designed to provide cushioning support and correction to the affected foot's biomechanics. These most effective orthotics are custom designed to target the inflamed plantar fascia and surrounding tissues of the unique individual and their source of discomfort. They also redistribute pressure on the bottom of the foot, resulting in reduced pain and discomfort.
Many academic and scientific studies support the use of orthotics for treating Plantar Fasciitis. Studies show improvement in foot pain and function within 1 to 3 months of use.
When worn regularly, custom orthotics work around the following areas:
- Arch Support: Custom orthotics with appropriate arch support facilitate even distribution of weight across the foot, reducing excess strain on the plantar fascia.
- Cushioning and Shock Absorption: Orthotics often include cushioning materials, such as foam, that absorb the shock during walking, running, and other physical activities.
- Alignment Correction: Custom orthotics address poor foot alignment due to supination and pronation.
- Pressure Redistribution: Orthotics are designed to support event distribution of pressure across the foot, containing the damage to the plantar fascia.
- Foot Stability: Custom orthotics provide foot stability, enabling the healing of the inflamed plantar fascia.
Orthotics can be used in conjunction with other treatment methods, such as exercises, physical therapy, medications, and lifestyle modifications. This multi-faceted approach can result in long-term relief and improved quality of life.
Benefits of Custom Orthotics for Those Suffering from Plantar Fasciitis
Orthotics are a beacon of hope for those reeling from the pain of Plantar Fasciitis or similar conditions. Custom orthotics provide a number of benefits, including:
- Pain Relief: Orthotics reduce the weight and pressure on the affected foot, relieving pain and discomfort.
- Improved Foot Alignment: Orthotics reduce excessive strain on the plantar fascia and support balanced movement of the foot.
- Reduced Inflammation: Orthotics’ cushioning support promotes healing of the injured foot.
- Better Shock Absorption: Many custom orthotics feature foam that helps withstand sudden shock and impact during regular foot movements.
- Smooth Mobility: Orthotics evenly distribute pressure across the foot, ensuring ease of movement while performing day-to-day activities.
- Customization: Custom orthotics ensure that your affected foot receives optimal support and correction.
- Prevention: Wearing orthotics provides continuing foot support, reducing the risk of similar foot injuries.
- Non-Invasive Support: Orthotics are a non-invasive treatment option for Plantar Fasciitis patients.
Orthotics for Plantar Fasciitis Treatment
The right orthotic to relieve pain from Plantar Fasciitis and promote healing is dependant on the severity of the condition, the foot anatomy, gait, and the specific needs of the wearer. Custom orthotics, like those offered by Orthotics Direct, are custom made to support each patient’s unique foot shape and pain management.
Acquiring custom orthotics at a reasonable price has never been easier.
Orthotics Direct offers custom orthotics measured from the comfort of your home. Patients perform their own foot impressions using Orthotics Direct’s easy-to-use impression foam kit and get custom orthotics delivered shortly thereafter.
Custom orthotics are a great option for Plantar Fasciitis pain relief and promotion of a speedy and comfortable recovery. Educate and empower yourself with the best custom foot orthotic for managing pain and other mobility problems.