At Orthotics Direct, one of our favourite orthotic-friendly brands has to be Sketchers.
This iconic California brand has been shaking up the athletic shoe market for nearly thirty years. Skechers’ designs have always been about style and support.
We’ll go over a brief history of the brand, as well as our absolute favourite Skechers for comfortable orthotic support.
Skechers founder Robert Greenberg was a sneaker success story even before he created the iconic shoe brand. Greenberg had a long career in fashion previously, having sold everything from wigs to jeans to roller skates.
His first real break came from, of all things, shoelaces.
Greenberg bought the rights to sell E.T. (the popular Spielberg sci-fi flick) branded shoelaces for $10,000. This off-beat investment quickly earned him 3 million dollars to start shoe company L.A. Gear. This new shoe company made big money targeting the woman’s athletic shoe market.
However, when sales slowed down in the early 90s, Greenberg was forced out of the company he had founded. Greenberg landed on his feet and was soon cooking up with his next excellent shoe idea at his Manhattan Beach apartment. Greenberg knew that teens wanted sneakers not just for sports but for comfort and style.
Skechers launched with an aggressive marketing campaign, with colossal celebrity endorsements that became iconic to those raised in the late 90s and early 2000s.
From the fun and flirty “Naughty and Nice” Skechers ads featuring Christina Aguilera to the Shape-Up line featuring Kim Kardashian, celebs were quick to accept the honour of being the face of Sketchers. The marketing worked as Skechers shoes became popular with both men and women. The unmistakable “chunky” shape of the shoes mixed the comfort with a sneaker’s classic style.
Today, Skechers continues to be a nostalgic “cult shoe” while still drawing in contemporary celebrity endorsements, such as Demi Lovato and Meghan Trainor. They even specialize in the most comfortable shoes for women and men. In line with this, they make some of the best orthotic friendly shoes for men and women.
Skechers and Orthotic Solutions
The same factors that made Skechers so famous as a fashion statement also make them excellent foot support shoes, especially when you wear orthotics.
Their soft interior fabric and lightweight design mean that they put very little stress on your foot. They’re durable and easy to slip on and off. Best of all, they manage to look uniquely stylish while still giving all the sneaker’s comfort. When it comes to men’s and women’s orthotic shoes, Skechers are among the best.
Going through all of Skecher’s excellent lineup of shoes would take forever, but the following are just some of what we consider the brand’s best choices.
Best Running Shoes for Orthotics: Our Favorite Orthotic-Friendly Sketchers
- On The Go Glide - Effusive - Simple, stylish, and soft, the Effusive mixes a subdued look with excellent comfort. This shoe has excellent cushioning, making it a great choice to accommodate orthotics.
- Magnaflow - Plunge- This heavy-duty shoe has all of the old-school Skechers flairs to it, with a decidedly “chunky” appearance. It has excellent air circulation as well, keeping your feet cool as well as comfy.
- Superior - Gains - The Gains combines a smooth leather look with an easy-to-slip-on design. This creates a casual style great for walking or just as a fashion statement.
- Overhaul - Derosa- The Derosa is the perfect shoe for getting active while keeping your feet comfortable. Its sleek design and air-cooled interior are just bonuses.
- Nobrac- Outfitted with a thick rubber sole and memory foam, the Nobrac is an excellent slip-resistant shoe.
Orthotic Shoes for Men and Women. Check Out Orthotics Direct
Not into Sketchers? Whether it’s accommodating high arches, plantar fasciitis, wide feet, or just looking for fashionable support for every day, we’ve got you covered with plenty of your favourite brands.
These great picks are just a few of the great brands offered at Orthotics Direct. Make sure to check out our shop for even more fantastic orthotic solutions and custom orthotics. Simply complete your foam cast or digital cast online, and we can create custom made orthotics just for you and your new pair of shoes!