Fila - A Trusted, Iconic Brand, with Support to Last
Posted by Orthotics Direct on 2021 Apr 28th
During the 90s, Fila wasn’t only one of the biggest footwear brands. It was one of the biggest names in fashion as well.
Of course, its wave died down, and the brand’s flame didn’t burn as long as other mainstays such as Nike and Adidas. Fila made a big comeback and proved to be a reliable choice for people from all walks of life.
The company also produces excellent shoes for those who need orthotic solutions. In this post, we’ll take a look at the rise, fall and resurgence of Fila and its relevance to those who need orthotics.
The Interesting History of Fila
Fila is one of the oldest modern footwear brands out there, boasting a lifespan that surpasses more “en vogue” brands such as Nike. It wasn’t some random “alternative” brand that emerged in response to the more popular ones. Just take a look at its history.
- 1911 - Founded by the Fila brothers in Biella, Italy, a small town that sits in the foothills of the Alps mountain range
- 1923 - The brothers decided it was time to expand the brand and formed a partnership with Maglificio Biellese, giving rise to the shoe we know today.
- 1942 - The company merges with Fratelli Fila to address the gap in the sportswear market, which consumers had to contend with within the 1940s.
- 1968 - Fila appoints Enrico Frachey as its new chief director to help the company thrive in the increasingly competitive sportswear market.
- 1973 - The company launches sportswear, initially focusing on professional tennis and launches its iconic “F-box” logo.
- 1976 - The sportswear giant gets a significant push after tennis champion Bjorn Borg wins first of five consecutive Wimbledons wearing Fila sportswear
- The 1990s - Fila becomes a household name during the 90s, and basketball/NBA stars embrace it, including Grant Hill and Chris Webber. It would also go on to get recognition in music, namely, among hip-hop stars.
Fila’s spotlight did fade a little during the 2000s, but it returned to the mainstream scene around the mid-2010s. Besides its fashion and sporting relevance, Fila has some advantages for ergonomic and orthotic-related foot pain.
Why Fila Works Great With Orthotic Solutions
Fila won hearts thanks to its clean design, but it has flown under the radar for its ergonomic sensibilities. Nevertheless, Fila sneakers make great orthotic-friendly shoes for men and women, and they’re comfortable as well. Let’s examine why.
Why Fila Shoes Makes Comfortable Shoes for Women and Men
- Highly Cushioned Soles - Many Fila shoe models are built with highly cushioned soles, a feature essential for arch support, especially for those with flat feet or high arches. Some Fila sneakers come with multiple soles as well, including outsoles and midsole for extra cushioning.
- Flexibility for Balanced Performance - In addition to making comfortable shoes for men and women, Fila has focused heavily on performance. Some of their models have also been formulated to allow for maximum flexibility. This means Fila translates to better performance and room for the foot to flex naturally. This also allows for better motion control and, by extension, healthier arches and a more natural gait.
- The increased flexibility also makes it easier to fit orthotic solutions such as insoles (in shoes that don’t have them pre-installed already).
Orthotic Shoes for Men and Women: The Classic Style and Design of Fila Shoes
The design of Fila shoes can be described as a clean aesthetic, one that’s free of embellishments and ornate designs. That doesn’t mean “plain,” however.
Although earlier, classic Fila shoes were bare-bones - often featuring the blue and red F-box logo - the designs have grown more sophisticated over the years.
Over the years, Fila has released various models that were hi-tops, velcroed, and multi-coloured. In terms of ergonomic design, the company has always emphasized performance and design, hence, their abundance of flexible shoes.
An Iconic Brand Worth Your Attention for Men’s or Women’s Orthotic Shoes
Fila is an intelligent choice in terms of comfort. The flexible design of Fila shoes allows for natural foot movement that supports healthy arches and makes it easy to add orthotic solutions.
Whether you work through a number of injuries, such as heel pain, plantar fasciitis, or just need a casual shoe for running or walking, shoes of every brand and calibre are what you can expect with us.
Need help finding the right advice on orthotic support? Shop with us today and find the perfect fashion-forward shoe that also enables maximum comfort and support, no matter how you move throughout your day! We folks at Orthotics Direct know custom orthotics.